Battle for Wesnoth/en
The Battle for Wesnoth, or simply Wesnoth, is a free turn-based strategy game designed in June 2003 by David White.
David White based Wesnoth on the Sega Genesis games Master of Monsters and Warsong (also known as Langrisser), although it also strongly resembles Strategic Simulations' 1996 release Fantasy General. He wanted to create a freely-available, open source strategy game that had very simple rules, but had a strong artificial intelligence, and was challenging and fun.
The current stable release of the game is 1.4.7, released on December 16, 2008. The Battle for Wesnoth is cross-platform, so it is available for a variety of different operating systems. Released under the GNU General Public License, The Battle for Wesnoth is free software.
The game is programmed in C++. It is cross-platform, and runs on AmigaOS 4, BeOS, FreeBSD, Linux (including OS flavors running on GP2X and Nokia n800 and n810 handheld devices), Mac OS X, Microsoft Windows, MorphOS, NetBSD, OpenBSD, RISC OS, and Solaris.
- Build up a formidable fighting force, starting from a single leader and a small amount of gold.
- Over 200 unit types in six major factions, all with distinctive abilities, weapons and spells.
- Experienced units gain powerful new abilities as they advance.
- Several multi-player options available, including internet play.
- Scores of different custom-designed maps, and unlimited random maps.
- Hundreds of campaign scenarios available for download via a simple in-game procedure.
- 'Fog of war' feature available for a true test of generalship.
- Sophisticated mark-up language lets advanced users make their own maps, factions or campaigns.
- Excellent language support – 35 different languages currently available.
- GNU/Linux, Windows, MacOSX, RISC OS, BeOS, Solaris, FreeBSD, OpenBSD, NetBSD, AmigaOS4, OS/2 & eComStation compatible.
- Wesnoth Homepage
- Wesnoth @ Gna.org
- ohloh statistics
- CIA statistics
- SVN web interface
- Patch tracker
- Bug/Feature tracker
- Developer Documentation
- Add-on server web interface
- Multiplayer server statistics
- Multiplayer replays
- Wesnoth unit tree
- wesnoth.org server stats
- 1vs1 Wesnoth ladder
- My Wesnoth Map Collection
- Voting on scenarios/campaigns